The Special Managing Agency (SMA) of the Operational Programme is a special agency of the Ministry for the Environment, Physical Planning and Public Works, directly accountable to the General Secretary for Public Works, who represents the Agency at the European Commission and the Greek State.
The creation, the responsibilities and the modus operandi of the Managing Authority are laid down with Decision no D17a/10/68/p.8/27-12-2000 published in the OJ 2Β/4-1-01.
The SMA is responsible for the efficient and correct implementation and management of the OP. In short, as far as the OP is concerned, the SMA has the following responsibilities, pursuant to article 34 of EC Regulation 1260/1999:
- Setting up a mechanism to collect strong financial and statistical data on the implementation, the indicators and the evaluation, as well as introducing all the above in the Integrated Information System of the Ministry of National Economy and then, transmitting them to the European Commission, pursuant to article 34, paragraph 1a of Regulation 1260/1999.
- Drawing up and adapting the Complementary Programming, pursuant to article 18, paragraph 3 of Regulation 1260/1999 as well as the requirements resulting from the IIS implementation, pursuant to article 34, paragraph 1b and 3 of Regulation 1260/1999.
- Implementing the Complementary Programming, pursuant to article 34, paragraph 1b and 3.
- Drawing up and submitting to the European Commission and the CSF Managing Authority the annual implementation report as well as the final report, after the approval of the OP Monitoring Committee, pursuant to article 34, paragraph 1c of Regulation 1260/1999.
- Preparing and organizing the mid-term review, pursuant to article 34, paragraph 1d and article 42 of Regulation 1260/1999.
- Using either a separate accounting system or the appropriate accounting codification for all transactions related to the Operational Programme.
- Setting up measures for internal audit, correct management of funding and adopting measures for eventual adjustments or corrections.
- Assuring regularity and compatibility with national and Community policies governing the actions funded from the Operational Programme, pursuant to articles 12 and 35, paragraph 1f, as these policies are mentioned in Chapter 4.2.1 on the “CSF Managing Authority”.
- Complying with obligations related to information and publicity.
- Assuring the availability of necessary information to the CSF Managing Authority, when assistance for big projects is the case, pursuant to article 26 of EC Regulation 1260/1999 and to the instructions to the CSF Managing Authority.
- Secretarial support at the OP Monitoring Committee meetings, not withstanding the latter’s statutory rules.
- Cooperating with the European Commission in order to process and propose the indicators which will be used for allocating the performance reserve, pursuant to article 44.
- Organizing the annual management meeting with the European Commission and following-up the implementation of documented suggestions pursuant to article 34, paragraph 2.