The OP-RAPUD is the largest – in terms of financial size – Operational Programme of the 3rd CSF. It includes interventions mainly focused on the completion of major road axes, projects in principal ports of the country as well as infrastructure projects in the large urban centres of Athens and Thessalonica (Subway and main urban road arteries).
The Operational Programme’s thematic units are as follows:
ROAD TRANSPORT (axes 1,2,3,9)
- Completion of the Patras-Athens-Thessalonica-Evzoni Motorway (including the Rion-Antirion Bridge, the Attica Road and other points of access) and of the Egnatia Motorway (including its connections to the ports of Igoumenitsa, Thessalonica, Alexandroupoli).
- Upgrading connections with the Balkans and the rest of Europe through the Pan-European Corridors.
- Completion of parts of the Ionian Road (from Antirion to Ioannina).
- Construction of road axes in Central Greece, Corinthos-Tripoli-Kalamata-Sparta etc.
- Construction of crucial road connections in the islands of the Ionian and the Aegean Sea.
- Implementing an action plan to improve road safety in Greece.
- Putting into place traffic management projects.
SEA TRANSPORT (axes 7,8)
- Development of the ports of Piraeus, Patras, Thessalonica, Alexandroupoli.
- Improvement/modernization/development of other ports in the country (since it is a part of the Trans-European Transport Network), which is of paramount importance so as to achieve balanced development between the Greek islands and other parts of continental Greece.
- Improvement of safety in the sea transport field (V.T.M.I.S. etc).
URBAN DEVELOPMENT (axes 4,5,6)
- Completion of the Athens Subway and extension of lines 2 and 3, while increasing project functionality.
- Construction of the Thessalonica Subway (Concession Contract).
- Construction of main urban road arteries (Athens, Thessalonica).
- Besides the OP-RAPUD projects, other interventions co-financed by the Cohesion Fund II and other Programmes contribute to the achievement of aforementioned goals.